View Single Post
Old 09-07-2000, 05:52 AM
Licensing First

Default Licensing First

I've written about this issue recently, so the research is fresh in my mind.

By January 1, 2001, every owner of a firearm in Canada must be licensed. No guns need be registered at that time. However, by January 1, 2003, all firearms must be registered. That said, there is some rumor that as long as you have applied for a licence by January 1, 2001 you'll be O.K. That remains to be seen, although it's hard to believe they will be able to process all applications and issue licences by that date. However, the legislation/regulations state that you must be in possession of such a licence (or a valid FAC) by that date.

Licences can either be a Possession Only Licence (POL) or a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). The POL is the easiest to get -- only requiring a one page application with little or no extra investigation into your background. However, with the POL you will not be able to purchase (or otherwise acquire) any more firearms. You will not be able to acquire a POL after January 1, 2001, but you will be able to renew it.

A PAL is more difficult to acquire. The application is longer, there is more investigation into your background, and it requires that you have either taken the federal firearms course or passed its test.

You will require a licence or valid FAC to purchase ammunition as of January 1, 2001. (There is no truth to the rumor that such a licence will be required to purchase provincial hunting licences.)

If you have a valid FAC that does not expire prior to January 1, 2001, it is as good as a PAL. When it does expires, you will have to apply for a PAL.

Confused? You're not alone. Go to the Canadian Firearms Centre web site (www.canadianfirearms.com) for more information, and licence application downloads.

Although I think we're stuck with licensing (we accepted it when FACs first came to be), I believe registration to be a costly boondoggle that penalizes law-abiding owners for the the actions of a few criminals. Registration will fail, one way or another, you can count on it! But it's convincing the politicians in power that it must be scrapped that is the problem. The gun control activitists have the upper hand in terms of public opinion, and as long as that is the case, it will be an uphill battle that will cost taxpayers more millions.

Don H. Meredith