View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Its been at least three years for me now. Not for lack of trying but the area I hunt has been hit very hard by winters, predators and supplemental tags. The only bonus if you can call it that is with deer numbers so low the hunters have left too.

I could find another area to hunt but I enjoy visiting and staying with my Mom who lives in the area and there's more to hunting to me than just shooting an animal. I also get to spend time with my hunting partner and mentor who isn't really interested in hunting other zones.

I have passed on many smaller bucks and every doe in the hope that population will rebound. Most of the wolves are now gone as they ate & killed most everything they could and numbers are slowly returning.

I would shoot in a heartbeat any of the bucks that have been posted on here. Each one is a great buck compared to what I see where I hunt. I don't hunt for horns or the meat but I love getting out hunting. I could easily fill the freezer at Costco for much less but I enjoy sitting in a blind or stand hoping to catch a glimpse of wildlife, stalking sneakily hoping to surprise my prey, trying to fool an animal with a call or rattle and even driving around in a truck cruising the lease roads and glassing cut blocks.

I once again didn't fold a tag on a WT or even see a nice one but I got a really good look at a bobcat, a grizzly, some nice moose and shot a few "chickens". My hunting partner and I even folded a tag on a moose, which was a first for me.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard