View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
Then you must have big eyes on your rod for the swivel to pass through, the swivel won’t go through many of mine. In the summer I’ll often put on 6-10 feet of flouro so the swivel is still a no go, plus the extra knot
On any decent rod, the size of the line guide eyes should be matched to it's intended use. Quality swivels also come with a weight rating. If you have a rod with tiny eyes, I would presume it's meant for smaller line/fish...use a commensurately small swivel. I run swivels as small as a bobber stop on my smallest rods. If we're talking about the summer, your rod is likely at least 6' and you should have absolutely no problem running a 6-10 foot fluoro leader with a swivel as I explained above.

As far as the extra knot goes if you are having enough knot failures that an extra knot concerns you, you have bigger issues that trying to include a swivel in your setup.

EDIT: I think in fairness in the summer though, even a small swivel could be an issue with casting. These dilemmas don't cross my mind sitting out in the middle of a frozen lake.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 03-23-2023 at 08:14 AM.