View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
If you sink a grizz at 50yards, enjoy your court time. They’ll expect you to know that 90% of charges are bluffs and grill you why you shot a bear outside of 10 yards.
I’ve never been charged fortunately, but I have been within 20 yards to several grizz - with cubs too.

I myself have never even seen a grizzly but lots of blacks. I personally do a lot of bush camping & always have either a .45-70 with my hardcast hand loads ready or my UTS-15 with challenger slugs on standby (always bear spray & two rotties close by as well! haha)

WIth that being said u are very correct! I have had multiple discussions with F&W officers in the foothills where we camp. The charging bear had best be like u say, 10-15yards in front of you when it drops, bear spray must have been used yada yada. If it's tearing up your trailer or tent & your inside they fair game. But if they tearing up your pets, or your animal you just harvested on a meat pole ect... too bad it's now the bears. One F&W told me a story about a guy down in Nordegg area. He called them & said he shot a cougar as it was "going to attack" him. He showed them where he shot it & the distance.. 50-60 yards away! He was charged, took his firearm ect.. so best make sure it really is life or death, & not being scared & tuff because u have a gun...

So knowing your shotgun chambered with the right slug & distance will certainly do the trick, but you best make sure its your life over the animals...