Thread: Status Natives
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Yes you are confused with Metis... i was going to say more... but.. i reallynhave a hard time believing that if she is treaty status...that she is un aware of her hunting options. Im treaty status.. and mny members heee are as well.. just 95% of them dont make it known due to obvious reasons.

Having skipped reading the thread, just though I would let you know my experience on this Treaty hunting rights education matter.

I have been heavily involved in the southern Alberta Native community for around 20 years, spending the majority of my hunting time with Elders mentoring several kids every year. Almost without exception, most Status hunters of all ages do not know what their Treaty hunting rights and legal obligations are.

A couple of other notes. Few Treaty hunters here ever hunt off of their reserves. Imo, due to the loss of contact between generations from the Residential school aberration, few younger hunters have a mentor to teach them about hunting. This is what we are trying to rectify.