View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Default Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Silvers are filter feeders and much larger, Prussian carp is omnivorous and does not grow as large, they don't dig up bottom sediment like common carp.Biggest danger is competition for spawning structure with other non predatory species.

Depleting lakes of oxygen? That's science fiction, not a fact.

This is like comparing tiny lemon sharks to a great white.
Jepril,

I understand you did not mention snakeheads, I was referring to someone else's comment, and apparently I misinterpreted it.

I'm not going to get in a P***ing match with you, regardless of what anyone believes these fish do not belong here and will have an impact on our fisheries. To what extent is anyone's guess, I am not a biologist and correct me if im wrong but neither are you.

I witnessed these fish stirring up the mud at the bottom of the lake digging for something, that's why they were going crazy in the shallows. Fact or fiction who is right who is wrong, I don't know? what I do know is experts and biologists who know a lot more than myself are quoted below.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion you have yours and I have mine...my apologies if I offended you or anyone else. Speaking about these fish makes me a bit angry.

Quotes
*"They have no natural predators in Alberta and will out-compete native species for resources."
*"Fish introduced from outside of Canada can cause significant damage to local fish populations."
*"Prussian carp are voracious plant eaters and their waste depletes the oxygen supply in a waterway. Invasive species often thrive in new environments where natural control mechanisms are unable to regulate their numbers. Native species often suffer as a result of depleted resources".

“In the Rosebud River, further north from us, the Prussian carp have taken over the system,” said Meagher. “They’re very small, they stunt, they stay very small and they’re very good feeders and they have a different lifestyle than the native fish.”
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....