View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Yes, a home purpose built suit is a way each of us can address what we're up against.

Back-pack mode I find is a wize option, if we don't need it during day it folds away small with the cinch straps and weighs next to nill.

My very first build was a long Mexican poncho, over the years it became 2 X's that size.

A few modification and it would remain as a poncho, coverals, or bibawack.

I've added, taken away, changed, improved, wrecked the process over the years.

So what's working.

Lite clothing body layer.
Big Puffy top and bottom that breaths, doesn't hold water or moisture, and space for air pockets with in the material.

The super light stretchy rain coat & pants go over this to trap the air space,,, the 10 vents get opened and closed threw out the day. If I go into ground blind mode it is buckled up tight top & bottom. The center section remain loose and puffy so I have room for my arms inside the suit to move if I choose.

About 1 minute to close up my boots in the suit,,, I call this the turtle mode. The blue pads insulate body heat loss on the frozen ground.

The layers can be changed out in many configurations,,, camo on the out-side at all times.

Another thing that's working is keeping it light,,, and adding the warmest puff cell material,,, these air pockets are a must.

Like I mentioned in the above post,,, the idea is on going and changing all the time... Even when I'm out on a trek.
Take notes of what's working and what is not.

One will know when we got it right.
Emergency space blankets can be fitted into the layers to,,, remember,,, venting is a must.

Hot coffee, and pure chocolate gets the human burner going. LOL.
Just like a wood stove.
About 20 minutes and you can't open the vent flaps fast enough. Ha.

I like to cool down to cold once I move to the next spot,,, adjust vents in route, then build up hot temps before landing... The total opposite of jet airplane engines.

Plan wize improves our outting.

Don