View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstalker234 View Post
Well the solution is very simple.. don't hunt from a vehicle! get out and hunt like a real hunter!
ask cow farmers if they are having a problem with gopher holes. back in Ontario many farmers are glad to invite varmint hunters onto their property, if a cow steps into a gopher hole and breaks a leg that cow will most likely have to be shot. so do the farmers a favour, kill the gophers and fill in the holes.

and if you take the time to get out of the vehicle and do some hunting you'll learn about tracking, stalking and all of the good things that hunting is all about.
Could one of you 'real hunters' post a how to on 'tracking,stalking and all the good things that hunting is about' for gophers?? For example, do you real hunters use an internal or external frame pack. Do you use the whole gopher or just the cape? Is it ethical to hunt for trophy gophers or only if you're going to use the whole animal??? Lol

To the OP, I see you already called F&W and someone posted the regs above for you. I understand your question to be if you see a gopher patch from your truck (scouting for hunting areas from a truck is still ethical, isn't it?) how far from the road do you need to be to be legal.

Don't cause a projectile to pass within 200 yds of an occupied dwelling and make sure you are out of your vehicle, completely off the road and ditch, and don't cause your projectile to pass along or across any road and you are good generally. There are some areas with wildlife corridors along roads but I'm not aware of any in gopher zones.

Now, you may get heckled by the 'real hunters' if you don't do a 10 km run or 20 km hike first, but there are some people who can't be satisfied . Seriously though, even in an area with permission some of the neighbours or passerby's may not like it. It is what it is, but keep it in mind.

Happy hunting!