View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Pdf won't open, try again? Regardless, lower K has always had resident bulls and cutthroat, as well as the K river and tributaries. Upper K and upper K river above the lake are not fertile fisheries and historically had no fish whatsoever if I remember correctly. No matter what they stock in upper, they will struggle to have any recruitment with the lack of suitable spawning tributaries. I'm sure the upper K falls immediately above the lake don't help with that, but it sure is a nice spot to visit.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Not sure why it will not open for you.

Anyway, the document indicates they started stocking these lakes with Cutthroats (non native) as far back as 1914. The upper lake had no fish at all before that time. The few (native) Cutthroats in the lower lake died off due to lack of spawning habitat, but the (native) Bulls survived.

They are never going rebound unless action is taken. It's heartbreaking to watch these lakes continue on the downward spiral.

So why not create a stocking program just like all the other ponds and continue to stock these lakes (Upper & Lower K, Barrier L, Ghost L, Glenmore Res.) EVERY year. At the least these fish will not die from winterkill, and lot's would probably survive to become nice sized fish. As some of these lakes already support trophy sized trout, both Cutthroats and Rainbows & Browns.