View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Very nice rifle, and a nice scope too. The Swarovski Z3 is kinda like an american/euro hybrid, all the lightweight and tidy profile of a Leupold VX-3i or cheaper like a or Bushnell Elite, but with Euro quality glass. Even the street price of $899 that they're going for now makes them a no brainer if you want a traditional american style scope.

Personally, I like 2.5x fpr the bottom end on a general usage big game scope, but 3x is workable too. I have come to this guideline after one incident where a buddy wounded a buck and we had to track it through the woods, I had to make a snap neck shot at 10-12 yards while standing on a fallen tree.... I'll give up top end but that was one situation where a shot simply had to be made quickly, at short range, and in heavy cover.

For high altitude sheep hunting and the like, I'm sure that a 4-16 or 5-20, etc. is not likely at all to be a problem, but for a general use scope, I'll be hard to convince.

A fixed 6x would have been a pretty big impediment in the above scenario imo, and though it's possible that I'm never in a similar situation, it makes me feel better to be ready for it.
Thanks JD!

I had the VX6 2-12 and loved that scope but it's pretty heavy, I gave up 7oz of weight to go with the Z3 3-10 but I don't think it'll cost me any missed opportunities. I don't want a fixed power scope because I like to crank it down in low light or tight quarters and crank it up in the wide open spaces because I could be hunting either on any given day.

I can't wait to get this rifle out on the bench with a couple boxes of bullets and a bunch of patches and get it broken in.

Here is the Model 24 280ai 24" #2 contour 1-9 twist barrel next to the Model 20 6.5 Creedmoor 22" #1 contour 1-8 twist barrel. There's supposed to be a 1/2 pound difference between the two but it feels like there's more, I'll throw them on the scale and see in a bit.