View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
I agree with your choice of calibers and cartridges for big game hunting and agree that they are adequate for "normal" big game hunting as we know it here in Alberta. I do, however, agree with the other **** disturbers that cartridge and bullet selection for large bears, Long Range Big Game Hunting and varmint shooting are not totally moot.
good summary

A quote from the OP then...
Quote:
In hunting situations where one shot is all you can get it does not matter if one bullet drifts less than another. Under read the wind and you miss left. Over read it and you miss right. Or vice a versa. A bullet that drifts less may help when wind is stronger than suspected and one subject to more drift may fluke a hit if a lighter breeze than figured is encountered. For most of us it’s palm reading at best.
open to so much interpretation, 'hunting situations'? i guess there are many 'hunting situations' that many guys wouldn't even consider 'hunting situations' lol...hey, know your limits right, the archery guys know that, the 30-30 guys know that, the chuck knows that within his, the long range shooters know that etc. etc. if its talking to newbies all the time then of course its great advice....title the thread, 'hey new guys looking for first rifle, here is my advice', but you addressed an open forum with this 'moot' shizzo lol

next....
Quote:
So the next time that gun Jocky hands you the newest and greatest magnum across the counter tell him thank you very much.
and to my point, rookies may not know what they want, your advice is excellent advice to people starting out no doubt, its the kind of advice that got me a .270, it turned out that my level of preparation goes much higher and in tune with whats currently available and not long after i moved up to a magnum due to necessity, i could not forsee the future so no biggie, was a good cartridge that i just out grew....like many out grow .243's and other popular 'starter' cartridges, i just out grew a normal one and tons of people do...so cartridge selection is not moot

now that is done....mk2750...hilarious postings, didn't see the original but the quoted one, some fun reading all around....i'll resemble the ++++disturbers statement, other great posts too(arn, narn etc.), all good fun