View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Hey Keg, you're just a young feller. Some arguments are like peeing into the wind. Nothing changes and you still get damp.
LOL Thank you. With this crowd I sure don't feel young. But at least I'm not so old I can't hunt anymore.

I know what you mean about the arguments. The people I learned hunting from would consider most of those arguments insanity.

Dad hunted with a 303 Ross.
Howard used a 30-30 and later a HIGH POWERED RIFLE, a 300 savage, model 99.
Others used similar rifles. They thought a 30-06 was way too big for deer. I know because they said so.

They didn't take a ton of game with those rifles. But they never wounded an animal that I knew about, and they didn't fire more then one or two shots at an animals, most of the time.
They simply got close enough that they were unlikely to miss.

It's the way I hunt now. No fancy guns, no optics on most of my rifles. I haven't killed very many big game animals, not counting bears. But I have killed all that I needed to.

To me the super magnums seem like a waste of money. I'm not knocking them. If people can afford them and want to use them, have-at-er.

But I am rather concerned for the young folks just starting out. Some folks would lead one to believe that the mega magnums are the ONLY option.
Whether they do this intentionally or unintentionally I don't know. But I'm sure some young fellows take the word of such people over the word of people like me, and ultimately wind up afraid of their rifle because the thing kicks like a Mule. And that, I know from experience, having guided such individuals, can lead to some terrible accuracy issues.