View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Reducing human scent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I don't use gloves, or any other kind of scent control, setting coyote snares or traps and have no problem catching them. As long as you are relatively clean you will leave very little scent from your hands. Most of the scent will be from your body. Just have confidence, get in, set and get out as quickly as possible and you will have little problem. Coyotes are generally quite familiar with human scent and will know that you were there; you just don't want to leave a bunch at the set.

When setting and checking snares leave things as natural as possible. The more time you spend at the set the more sign you leave especially when there is snow on the ground. Set up snares from the side of trail. Do not walk around or make set and turn around and go back. Either follow thru on the trail or cross over and depart the area in a different location than your entry point. When checking snares walk thru the same route each check.
This is bang on in as far as how I go about setting and checking my snares as well. Catch over a hundred every winter doing it this way. Try to stay clean, get in and get out, and don’t walk on their trails.