View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Clean that thing to the bare metal and go shoot a 5 shot group, then another and another, letting it cool but don't clean. I bet the third target will be the best. After doing a few of these little experiments with my own guns they now only get the wipe out treatment every 2-300 rounds, only kroil and a good carbon remover. My cold clean bore zero is almost 10cm different than my cold fouled bore zero at 100m, that equates to a half a meter miss at a 600 meter target. Something to keep an eye on or at least consider. All this copper removal hype is just hype
On my hunting rifles they NEVER get the copper cleaned out of them for several seasons, but I run a patch through them every time I go out, after they are warmed to room temp just to control the moisture a bit.
On my own match rifles I could care less of they go thirty, forty , or even two hundred rounds if the accuracy is not affected, but I know many shooters who prefer to shoot from a clean rifle every time- never could figure it out myself .
That is why I said if one feels their accuracy is going, clean the danged rifle sooner.
I've been told many times that I am wrong however.......
Cat