View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Chuck, I have a Havalon and will continue to carry it. They are the bees knees until they aren’t. Elk and I were with a buddy who shot a cow moose in really cold weather. I did the gutting and skinning, while the other two held legs and hide etc…. The fat kept freezing up on it, affecting performance, and making it quite difficult to change blades. I ended up saying to Elk, “Can I use your knife?” That was a one-off, but when it happened, I was sure glad that Havalon wasn’t the only knife on us.

That is only one of many, many animals I have skinned with the Havalon, and I really like it, but want another nice-ish, traditional knife in the backpack too.
Pretty much my experience as well this fall, I bought into the replaceable blade craze and bought one. Used it for my deer and November moose. I'm sure they have their applications and are good during warmer temps but it is definitely not during cold temps, where fat and meat can freeze into the crevices that hold the blades. So the fixed blades are back in the pack.

In my opinion once you learn to put an edge on a blade and know how to touch up in the field, pretty much any knife will do. I've never had a knife fail when doing one animal but i'm also not chopping bone with it. Shooting tradtional archery and using two blade broadheads that require a razors edge have taught me how to sharpen blades......owning one knife is like owning one bow, one gun, one vehicle what fun is that......LOL