View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I was digging around in my knife drawer and thought some of you might like to see this. It is an original Russel Belt knife in Stainless steel. It is from the first prototype non- production run in 1957, prior to the issuing of the Design Registration in 1958, which was added to the Recasso on all production knives from 1958 to 1978. The registration was only good for 20 years so had to be renewed in 1978. When the Design Registration was renewed the Recasso after that showed the later registration date. The first knives were marked Russel Belt Knife, Canada on one side, with a large S in a circle for Stainless steel, and Made in Canada alone on the other side. They became D.H. Russel later and then they added the Grohman markings. Notice the brass pins, they switched to nickle pins later on but I do not recall what year that was. Notice the difference in the later blade shape on the current production version picture below as well as the handle shape also changed quite a bit on the post 1958 and later models. It looks more like the current Boat, Army Yatchsman version

My father got this one in 1957 and I can only assume it was a test version. These were also issued to soldiers at one point in time so that may be where he first acquired it as he was in the service from 1943 to 1973..

Here is a picture of the current Grohman Russel Belt knife

Note the difference in the handle design.

That is a really cool knife Dean, and is likely collectible to a lot of folks. Please don’t be offended, but the S with a circle around it does not stand for stainless steel, it actually stands for “second” meaning it’s a factory second and marked as such as it would have been sold without warranty. That does not change what I said in the beginning it is a cool old knife that is part of the companies heritage.

Ken