View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
That is a really cool knife Dean, and is likely collectible to a lot of folks. Please don’t be offended, but the S with a circle around it does not stand for stainless steel, it actually stands for “second” meaning it’s a factory second and marked as such as it would have been sold without warranty. That does not change what I said in the beginning it is a cool old knife that is part of the companies heritage.

Ken
No offence taken but you are incorrect. There is an S on more modern knives and it does stand for second, but they do not have a circle around them. Even according to Grohman's site, the S in a circle means stainless. The original knives were all hand made, the company did not sell seconds back then, that is a much more recent thing. I remember my dad using this knife out hunting in the mid 60s when I was 8 or 9 years old, so I am positive it is not one of the modern ones. Also, the fact the Recasso is not marked RD 1958 or RD 1962 means its "made" date predates the Registration of Design dates.

You can find the information here if you like.

https://www.grohmannknives.com/index...ough-the-years

Through the Years
Is it a Grohmann?

Curious about that knife you've always carried? Wonder if the blades you use at work are Grohmann? Is it a real Grohmann knife, or a copy? For instance, there have been around 16 copies of our Original #1 Design that we know of! Below are some product pictures and descriptions to help you decide if you have the real deal or not, plus some special order items and other interesting facts through the years.

Grohmann Stamps/Blade Markings

Materials Used

Stamps/Blade Markings

Tang Stamps - Russell Belt Knife, D.H. Russell Belt Knife, Grohmann, Pictou, Nova Scotia, model numbers, stainless or carbon

R2S showing registered trademark "RD 1962" RD meaning registered, and the year that the model was registered. These knives were stamped for 20 yrs this way, so if yours has this stamp it could have been made anywhere from 1962-1982.

Original DH Russell lockblade

Steak Knives, Chef & Bread Knives with older Grohmann Knives logos

Old Blades Stamps - "S" with a circle around it meant "Stainless", a "C" with a circle around it meant Carbon

Materials Used

Initially: Various steels and handle materials such as Swedish Carbon, Brazilian Rosewood, Moose horn, caribou,
Switched to East Indian Rosewood (respecting rainforests), German hi-carbon stainless and carbon steels. Handle materials still varying from everything from turquoise to water buffalo
Original sheaths were hand-molded leather and were at one time done in the factory
Brass Rivets were originally used in the knives, then nickel-silver, then aluminum and now back to brass rivets.