View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When I was younger I found (and was taught) that there is a middle ground between sharpenability and edge holding . It seems these days that the focus often is on super sharp steels, the draw back being theyvtake a lot longer to sharpen once they get even a bit dull.
There are likely hundreds of different sharpening g systems on ghe market as well, and not all are suited to every type of steel.
You are right Sns2, A person needs to find the knife and sharpening system they like, and it may not match up with the next guy's ideas as this thread has shown.
Cat
Totally agree. A butcher friend of the family gifted me a wood handled stainless steel when I was about 12. $75ish at the time.I was shooting tons of gophers, muskrats, beavers, magpies, badgers, anything pesky on the ranch.

I started sharpening it with a round 2 sided stone I bought at McLeods with 4-H calf money. Many, many game later, they're my go to & I can skin & gut plenty fast enough to keep my hands warm. I've bought a couple others, but that cheap, simple combo has it's place.

Still going to look at a Chisan though.