View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I have a Grohmann 100 for skinning. Works great and keeps an edge but wouldn’t work well for breaking an animal down because it chips very easily. I watched a buddy take two chops to take a Whitetail tail off once before I could say anything. When he handed it back to me there was 2 chips where he hit bone. I spent some time sharpening the chips out and it’s worked great ever since for its intended purpose.
My Grohman has quartered about a half dozen moose and several elk... no chips. I have a couple different ones, and the #1 is my favorite for sure. I attempt to chop through bone with any of my knives though...

Another favorite is an old Western Cutlery knife I have, which I believe was made in the late 50's. Its probably got some of the hardest carbon steel that I've run across.

If I didnt want to spend the money on a Grohmann I'd just use a Mora, good steel and a decent design. Only problem is the plastic sheaths are noisy if you wear them on your belt, since I rarely carry a pack I'd need to get a leather sheath.

Last edited by Bushleague; 01-06-2022 at 07:35 PM.