View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Ive been spending lots of time in central 402. Trail cameras, exploring areas. Im getting close to the elk but cant seal it. Ive got couple questions not looking for your spots just tips on the movement. I have legal bulls and cows on camera frequently during archery season. Opening day of rifle they dissappear. We have multiple cameras in different areas, they all go dry of pictures. Also we have gone back after season and no pics or tracks in the snow? Can any one tell me if they believe the elk head east across the trunk road into (bob or waldron) or west into BC? Or are they there and just mostly stationary. We have put the time and feet on the ground i honestly think we would see them if they were there. We have gotten up high and glassed around as well with zero elk seen. I find the area we are in doesnt really lend well to glassing (like the hunting shows seem to make it look like easy glassing spots on every hillside) but thats another topic
This is the question I've been trying to find the answer to for several years.
I've heard that there are sometimes hundreds of elk on the Elkford area mine properties. That's not too far by elk standards.
In 305, 306, & 308 they can rut without a rifle season taking place. Makes sense they'd go where the pressure is less. But there doesn't seem to be any guarantees with that from my experience.

I don't know what kind of pressure the wolves see in 402 but I do know that a trapper used to work Bob creek in the winters, not sure if he still is. I would imagine wolves like the forest of 402 better, less chance of getting picked off by a hunter or rancher than the more open country to the east.

One other factor, Grizzlies. I was in central 402 in May of '22 looking for a Blackbear and saw three grizzlies on the side of a hill together. Looked like two Boars fighting over a sow based on the sizes of them. Just imagine how many calves those three could eat?
There's grizzlies east of 402 but that was the first time I've seen three grown grizz's together.

If I were king I'd get rid of the September 17th rifle season in 400, 402 and make the whole area 6 point or larger, 400, 402, 304, 305, 306, &308.

After a few years the elk hunting would be amazing. But too bad the ranchers control things, they'd never allow that.