View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 08:32 AM

Hunting groups can be fickle, over the years ours has evolved into mostly family, we now have nephews and their sons hunting with us, the ones that are not family have mostly been hunting with us off and on for years so are considered family.

We have a very nice group now but if everyone shows up is to big 12 total but that has never happened YET, work commitments, school and life in general usually cuts into things, the mainstay of our group is 4 retired guys myself included, we usually go in a couple days early and get things set up, and for the most part we hang out for 3 weeks or so, the other boy's come and go as work and life dictates, everybody get a share of the meat and pays a share of the processing, all other expenses are split based on time spent in camp. We have never had a squabble about expenses as it's pretty cut and dried.

We had over the years allowed a couple friends of friends to join us, 2 of them lasted 1 year and we said NO that's it, a couple others left on their own for 1 reason or another, crap happens.

All in all I can say that I really like the way things are with our group, of course from time to time things have to be hashed out but it never gets to the boiling point, it's great to have the young guys around, lots of muscle for the heavy lifting, but having said that we are getting older, the old boys are all in their 70's now and me well I can see it but haven't turned that page yet, health issues have cause some to miss from time to time and I suspect that is going to continue.

I really must say that it has been a great 45 years and I really hope I get another dozen or so, it will be a sad day when I can't head to camp mid September with my old friends, that's the best day of the year for me.

You guys all take care and be safe, happy hunting
Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.