View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 08:48 AM

We've toned down our hunting trips and don't hunt quite as hard as we used to. My hunting buddy and I now both have boys who are 11-13 and we bring them out with us. Our goal is to make it enjoyable for them so they want to come back and most 11-13 year old's don't like getting up at 5am and walking 20 kms a day. So we take it easy, sleep in a bit, make a good breakfast, maybe head out around 9 and trudge through the bush from camp for an hour or two. The boys carry .22's and shoot at grouse and squirrels. I'll carry my .270 in case the one deaf 5x5 buck who didn't hear us from a mile away is around the next corner. Then we head back to camp, have good lunch, then usually hook up toboggans behind the truck and pull the kids around on the logging roads. Then back to camp for for another early evening hunt and then back for a couple beers and start making supper. In the evening my buddy and I hang out around the fire if it's warm enough and the boys hang out inside the tent watching movies. In a couple years once they get a bit older I can see us transitioning to more hunting but right now it's just to get out and enjoy time with the kids.