View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 01:59 PM

Default Total newb, need partner/mentor for spring overabundant - Vulcan County

Hello everyone and thanks for reading,

So, I haven't been hunting in decades, since I was a kid w my dad. I do a LOT of target shooting with all of my firearms, so I consider myself highly skilled and safe. (edit: highly skilled and safe as a shooter, but completely clueless as a hunter!)

I've been doing my best to research what I need for the upcoming 2023 march-june snow/ross goose season, but to be honest, I have a ton of questions still. The government websites are not super clear and I don't want to take any chances or make any mistakes. Even more concerning to me is that there do seem to be a number of legal places to hunt the VERY plentiful snow geese in my area, but I'm having trouble confirming that hunting is allowed.

Anyways, long story short, I think my best bet is to have an experienced hunter show me the ropes and give me some advice - in person - come March. I live in the Vulcan county area, but I'd also be interested in going to any of the hunting allowed parks areas along the Sheep R. between Okotoks and Black Diamond, even into Blue Rock, if that's of interest to anyone. Don't know what the goose population is like down that way, but I know Vulcan area is thick with geese in spring/fall...

So, if anyone is interested in helping me out, I'd sure appreciate it. I don't know the etiquette around how to ask and what's expected of a newbie like me, so take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Belgrimo; 02-02-2023 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification