View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Between 150,000 and 200,000 schools in the US. Assume you pay a guard $40,000 US a year on average. You need two per school that comes to $16 billion a year in guard salary.

True crime has fallen.

I also want the statistics removing criminal on criminal violence. Most people fear a random attack however most violent crime is known to the person.

Drug dealers killing drug dealers does not bother your average person.

Just based upon statistics as they are Canadian's are way safer...less murders than the US. 4.88 / 100,000 in the US and 1.68 /100,000 in Canada. Is it an artifact of the different societies or liberal gun laws in the US?

Most gun violence in the US tracks socio-economic indicators. Poorer the area the more gun crime. It has nothing to do with carry laws etc. Poorer the area...the more crime.
As to the cost, I realize we often think in the hardest of numbers, but there are many ways to make it work. For one thing, the US spends that much on so many things. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to spend about that on school guards. Secondly, what about the military? There are many military personnel that need jobs. This would require some common sense, which often is lacking in politics. I can just see it, one side calls to use the entire military, the other argues it's a monstrous idea, what about PTSD, etc.

There are under 100k schools in the US, elementary and secondary. If two guards per school paid $50k/yr, that's $10b. Very doable. Also, what about pairing one guard with one or two soldiers?

The gang violence thing came from the CDC in 2011, as I recall. A quick search gives me this PDF, but Idk what page. It was something like 11k gun homicides that year, and nearly 9k of that was gang-related violence. So under 3k homicides by firearms in a country of about 300 million.

I definitely agree that most violence follows socioeconomic indicators. The US has always had more violence, including gun violence, than many other first-world countries, if you'll excuse the term. But through various approaches that crime rate has been steadily dropping over decades. The US is not a blood soaked country, despite the common appearance in media.

If politics and power-grabbing were left out of this, and the country took a common sense approach to all aspects of violence, with decent approaches just to things like mental health and proper background checks, I'll bet this problem would just about vanish. It could go a tiny bit further in some specific ways, IMHO, and almost completely eliminate all mass shootings (which statistically are not a big threat), but this is enough dreaming here.