View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Redington Pursuit series....How would you rate them?

They are at a pretty good point for sure but what about their quality?
They are an OK rod for the price, but the quality of components in the older series is nicer IMO. You should be able to get a lot more rod for a little more or even less money.

The discontinued Classic Trout is medium by today's standards but is still considered by many to be one of the best values in a dry fly rod. A Google search will give you lots of info.

The CPS is another classic rod that is very well rated but I never got a chance to try one.

There are still plenty of RS4s around and these are my favorite Redington rod. There is one on Kijiji right now for $100 in a 5wt. They retailed around $200 and were a great deal at full price. Components are top notch and the action is med fast to fast with very nice feel.

Last year's top of the line Redington, the CPX is a beautiful rod. They were $350ish retail and I see many for $200 and change on clearance. They are very fast action with lots of fish fighting back bone. I also have the new version (Redington Link) and although it does have a nicer action, the components and look of the CPX are nicer. The CPX is not for everyone as it is border line stiff and some find it lacks any feel. I am keeping mine as a back up for my Z-Axis and wouldn't loose a lot of sleep if it was the only rod I had.

I consider any of these rods much nicer that the Pursuit and if you shop around you can find them at a good deal.

The discontinued Sage Flight are a great deal at most retailers if you like fast and the Vantage if you like medium. You should check them out as well.