View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
thanks!!! heading to mexico with my 11 foot 6" baja rod monday... so ill pack the reels and lures in check in bag....and carry on the rod in its case!!!

going to PV if any one has any secrets to give me....bringing lots of Rapalas.

Anyone use the Baja 4 piece traveling rod?

ynx

happy
You might get one or two trips out of your Rapala but as was said they are cheap and won't stand up. Also you will have to check it coming back from Mexico for $25/us and that gets old fast. But still I find I got many hours of fishing in relatively cost free once I was set up. And it will give you a taste of surf fishing which if you have some success and like it, then you can move up into some better gear. Just remember to snug up your sections every half hour as they work loose from all that casting. I would go at least one hour north or two hours south of PVR to get to some good beaches. If you can get some 2 oz deadly dicks in refracta red, or a Gibbs minnow, they work good for casting and as a searching lure, as anything 3 oz and heavier really wears you down.
And it's easy not to hook up and get discouraged and gaze out and wonder about a boat trip. Also a boat trip is a nice break from casting and I use local fishermen for 1500 pesos for 4 hours. A diving Rapala lure to 3-6' along with a top water set up works good for that. Anything that dives deeper than that will be really hard to hold if they don't have rod holders. Have fun!