View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
As it is I dont buy the shorter, lighter gun argument, at least in the case of the .270. It seems to me that you would just be replaceing a small amount of chamber length with more barrel or else you would be getting only a little more speed and a lot more muzzle blast. Set me straight if I'm wrong.
case capacity is about 20% more from memory, and if looking to maintain a certain velocity threshold at distance (ie; 1800-2000 fps) then the .270 wsm will do it another 20-25% further....so in my eyes its approx. 20% more cartridge.....however, its every bit of that in recoil also, and price out some factory ammo it might be there too....so, is the extra horsepower necessary in any way is the question a guy really needs to ask? ie; long range capability imo...so not sure if i'm setting you straight at all.....just maybe giving a different way to look at the difference and where it might come in handy....as there is a for sure difference between the too! i had a similar weight rifle with 22" barrel in .270 before my current one in .270 wsm....i wanted and put up with the extra horsepower for long range potential....but the old rifle didn't require a muzzle brake....the new one hits way harder without the brake.....light rifles btw....around 7 lbs scoped....my short mag without brake feels like Dad's 300 win mag model 70 probably around 1.5 lbs heavier gun....i don't like either of them sans brake