View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
One of the marketing dudes for Winchester told me that Americans won't embrace metric cartridges. Sure the 7RM beat the odds but overall, putting a metric designation to a cartridge is a kiss of death. And as you say, I think the lore of the 270 Win worked in favour of the WSM as well. You can still own a .270 like Jack but it's a super-charged magnum. Very little to do with practicality and everything to do with marketing and an imperial based system of measurement.
I know that in general your statement about metric cartridges is true, but the 7mm seems to be the exception. Most of the 7mm magnums seem to be about as popular as their 30 cal counter parts. I cant help but think that if the .280 had been called the 7mm-06 it might have done better.

I think the .270 did beter than any of the other WSM's because it was the only one with any balistic advantage over the round it is most often compared to. On the balistics charts the other wsm rounds dont have any major advantage over their magnum counterparts. Besides that taking North America's 3rd most popular cartridge and making it a magnum was a marketing no brainer, not sure how weatherby screwed it up.