View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I could never understand the allure of the 270 WSM over the 7MM version. Maybe SC and the longer range shooters could enlighten me on this one as LR shooting seems to be a reason given to going to the WSM's.
it was a reason for me, i shot a doe at 521 yrds with the .270 i had before, and in practical terms with that bullet at the time figured that was about the usueable limit for it on game...even though i hit well to 700 i think it lost too much velocity to get bullets to open up well etc.

equally important to me was the fact i didn't want to reload

yet i wanted ballistics to take me as close to the distance as the single turn of a leupold target knob (15 moa) would take me in terms of useable velocity on game to have the bullet stay in parameters specified by manufacturer, so i could use a kenton speed dial knob in yards to match everything so it was fast/simple for hunting....the .270 wsm was the least horsepower i could drive(in factory ammo cartridges) to stay around 1800 fps min impact velocity to how far the leupold scope would give me in one rotation (around 800 yrds)....so for me it was maximum efficiency, plus it came in short action for a lightweight gun which was also important for me but that was a bonus really

i could hit well with the regular .270 to further than it could keep recommended (on game) velocities up on my bullet of choice (accubonds) so i upgraded for more horsepower, hope that makes sense, i have a well balanced rig now that can stay around 1800 fps (750 yrds elevation depending) about as far as i can speed dial with a standard 1/4 moa per click leupold

so the allure is for those who want to do longer range without the reloading.....capiche?

if i reloaded i could keep similar velocities to similar ranges with 105 bergers in a .243 (a build i plan on in future)....but i don't reload yet, i have too much on the go to take it on, so until i reload (retrirement maybe?) then to do what i want with factory ammo i have to step up to the .270 wsm

otherwise i'm with you....regular hunting/shooting i vote .270 over the wsm every time!

thats the beauty of reloading to me, access to the really high bc bullets allowing you to go much further on less powder, nicer on the shoulder, more efficient etc. build lighter guns without muzzlebrakes that can go as far and recoil tolerable as heavier harder kicking magnums