View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Why would we want to kill the lake before it has a chance to winter kill? Is the fishing no good on these lakes anyways(at other times)? Is fishing success only measured on what you can keep?

Liberal limits will net you nothing, with maybe the exception of the first year implemented. No recovery = no fish. And I do not want to see put and take for walleye/pike perch(and likely will never see it). We have put and take for trout already.

You may need to accept the dream of 5 age classes will rarely happen. I would rather have good fishing for 3 or 4 years than just the first year of your proposed fishing.
Just on observation, but Utikima has not suffered a severe winter kill in quite a while, despite some bad winters and high fish populations. Its been know to winterkill regularly in the past though... so what has changed? There is far more fishing pressure there now, perhaps with regular thinning of the population the winterkill cycle can be extended?

Beyond that fun point, which may or may not be a feasible theory on other waters, properly set size and catch limits should limit the harvest on lean years and allow the depleted population to make a comeback.

The major problem is that to properly determine these things individual lakes would have to be studied, which we all know would cut into the unemployed citizens beer money, and will never ever happen.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.