View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou75 View Post

Alberta cities are as good as it gets for the average citizen. You can afford a house, clean, safe, low crime, good schools, high incomes, amazing infrastructure. London is great if you are a Russian billionaire, but there are few places on the planet that have the quality of life we have in Alberta.

Let that sink in for a bit - Calgary is the best city to live in in North America, as based on data collected by a conservative business magazine, the Economist. Makes a lot of the end of the world about rhetoric about the need to save Alberta on this site seem a bit foolish.
For the same reason, I think it makes sense to defend what we have and even try to improve it. The reason other places are worse is because they allowed bad things to happen, though other things can be to do with their respective economies, not everywhere is blessed with abundant natural resources that have strong market values allowing for strong employment numbers. Complacency would just have us slide into 67th place. Who cares about our standing on such a list, it would be nice if everywhere had good evaluation numbers and the world was a giant prosperous tie. Perhaps you’re looking at it backwards, maybe we made that list precisely because people both defend what we have as well as build upon it. What I do know for certain is that apathy doesn’t get anything done.