View Single Post
Old 02-21-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I know that this thread has been sort of dormant for awhile but it’s cold out and I had some time so I thought I’d share my hunting knife that I sharpened today that’s been sitting dull since November. I have learnt many things from this thread and sharpening by hand to get a razor edge that slices through a flyer is such a satisfying feeling so keep at it if you don’t get the whole sharpening by hand at the start because it sure is satisfying once you finally get there. Even though I feel like I’m getting better I still use a sharpie to mark the edge to identify where I’m sharpening and I would for sure recommend it to anyone. I use the DMT 10 inch diamond stones and really like the job they do and how convenient they are.

Sorry if the photos don’t show up well but that’s the best that I could take off of my phone.

Here is a photo of the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks very good to me.

And as you said, the Sharpie thing is a great way to do it, as you can see the progress when you sharpen, on both sides to keep them even. Not too many do it, but I do, especially when I first profile an edge. At times, I will also use a loupe (magnifying glass).

Once my profile is known (ie. degrees) for a particular knife, I don't use them anymore, as my sharpening system can be set accordingly.

Some may think it is "overkill", but the straighter the bevels, the better edge you will get, and the longer it will last before dulling.

So what if it takes a little more time...Right?

Thanx for sharing...