View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The problem with experts is that they know just enough to confuse everyone.

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Fact is, most of the so called experts can't agree on what to call things.
Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.

LOL! There is the problem. If different people are calling the same fish by different names then there may be people who do not know what you are talking about.

The problem is not so bad when the name being used are different names for the same fish and there are no other creatures that those names may apply to. Eg. walleye, eyes, yellows, wallies.

But if you use Pickerel (there is another creature called pickerel) for Walleye then there could be some real confusion.

I could ask" hey Keg, could you go to the freezer and get out some pickerel fillets for supper, they are right beside the jack fillets."

Then after you have gone I say to myself, "I hope he doesn't get confused and bring out those awful "chain pickerel" fillets that uncle John brought from Ontario last year!"

Believe it or not some people get confused and call Alberta's antelope "goats".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...