View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
This episode of the meateater podcast sheds some light on the topic of public perception about hunting, and it isn't all gloom and doom:

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...eg-blascovich/

Short summary:

About 10% of the population hunts. About 10% of the population is morally opposed to hunting. The middle 80% mostly looks favorably on hunting. However, they look more favorably on some types of hunting then others.

Personally, I think it is time that we hunters stop worrying about being under attack from the 10% that hates hunting (the type that put out the ad in the Edmonton Journal), and start worrying about what the middle group thinks. They are the ones that one day may have to vote on an issue that will seriously affect us hunters.

Hunters skew rural. As a result, I think many hunters feel under attack as the population shifts to being more urban. As a hunter who was born rural, and is now urban, all I can tell you is that in all my time in the city, and at university, even among the real lefties (vegans, environmentalists, hippies included) very few people are opposed to hunting. If anything, these groups tend to be very interested in nature and connecting with nature. If I was made czar of hunting public relations tomorrow, my number one focus would be promoting the connection between hunting and experiencing the natural world, because I know that whenever I mention hunting to people that I am sure the average forum member would consider the enemy, they might say that they wouldn't do it themselves, but they like the idea of a person going out and getting their own meat.
×2

Many of my friends, family and the people I work with are hardcore left wing and, with one exception, all that know I am getting into hunting are very supportive. They see shooting a deer as much more ethical than factory farming. They not only tolerate hunting for meat - they respect it. You will never understand their mindset if you assume that if someone is anti-trophy hunting that they are anti-hunting.

I agree that trophy hunting is under attack. Clubs aside, do not underestimate the impact a lone hunter can have on their family and friends.

Emphasizing the conservation value of predator control, that trophy animals are still eaten, that trophy stage hunters often take fewer animals than those focused on the freezer, and that there are game management benefits to taking mature animals can speak to the majority that are not anti-hunting overall. I feel that the messaging given out by the AHEIA through their hunter education course is pretty strategically on point to address many trophy hunting concerns.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk