View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Ok I will tell my story...But 1st I am pretty straight forward and don't believe in a bunch psycho mumble jumble..but sometime ya have to wonder who is looking out for you.
I had shot a nice bull elk on the edge of a small logged clearing in zone 402 back in the early 80ies. I had a black bear tag so the next afternoon around 3:00 pm I thought I would go watch the gut pile and see if I could find one. I was sitting in the same log jam, which was about 70 yards from where I had shot the bull from, but after about an hour and a half was getting bored and thought I should maybe walk over to the guts and see if anything had been on them.
I had only taken 3 steps when a loud voice from behind me ...clear as day said "Jim don't go over there!!". It startled me so much I jumped and spun around to see who said it. You know it...there was no one there...I was all alone. I sat back down on the log pile and shakily lit a smoke. About 4 drags later I was surprised to see a very large jet black Grizzly get up from sleeping, behind a large log about 10 yards off the gut pile and walk over and proceed to un-bury what was left of it. I had no clue he had been there and would have gotten stomped and mauled like white on rice if it was not for the VOICE.
Was it real...yes...was it in my head or outside of it is what I still question to this day...Maybe in hindsight it was the lack of birds on the guts that tripped my own senses. All I know is it was very real and to this day I can't tell you what it was. Nothing like this has ever happened before or since to me.
PS...I spent the rest of the evening just watching that great bear go about his business and cherish that encounter still.

Jim