Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 PM

There was a Facebook post on this topic on AHA. One Métis harvester said he was glad for the expanded hunting territories because game was getting lean within the 160km radius in his territory.

There’s a lot of responsible FN and Métis hunters who take what they need and don’t abuse the system. Some Métis folks on this thread are a prime example of those who contribute in a meaningful way to conservation regardless of their rights.

But just like any other race, there are bad apples. This expanded territory gives them free range to ruin things for everyone. The number of applicants for Métis harvester status will rise and if even 5-10% treat it as a free for all and shoot 5 moose a year each, the animal population will suffer greatly. Draw times will increase for everyone else in these expanded harvest areas which will in turn create an even larger divide between races.

Would I like to see the treaties ripped up in today’s modern world and offer a one time buyout? Sure. Is it fair? Probably not. We signed the treaties with them and I’m for honoring contracts. That being said, the provincial government has the authority to dictate the size of these harvest areas and the size of the new areas is way to big. Hopefully a new government will change this legislation.

I’m not sure what the solution is to be honest. I’m all for equality regardless of race, but I’m also for honoring agreements.