Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 PM

If you want to talk heritage and tradition...I’m a 7th generation NBer since early 1800s.
As recent as 80 years ago,my grandfather shot moose when he was hungry,and in the fall he pitchforked a wagon full of salmon for the winter as they swam over the gravel bar.Unregulated subsistence hunting and fishing is part of my heritage.Maybe I should be able to poach as many moose and salmon as I want because my ancestors did?
Now don’t get me wrong...I get that FNs want to preserve their heritage,and I’ve got no issue with that.
If you want to run down moose on snow shoes and spear them,or run around the prairies in a loin cloth with bow and arrow chasing mulies and bison,have at’er I say.
4x4 trucks,quads and centerfire rifles are NOT part of your heritage or tradition.
When most of these Treaties were written granting hunting/fishing rights for all eternity(especially back east going back to 1700s) Canada was an unspoiled wilderness for the most part,and nobody could have possibly dreamed that the resources are not infinite.
Live in the now for chrisakes,unregulated hunting with modern methods isn’t sustainable,isn’t responsible,and is a crime against nature and future generations,red and white alike.

Last edited by West O'5; 03-23-2019 at 11:11 PM.