Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Narrow vision??? Bull shyt.

Straight up 100% true story. I just saw a Metis card from a gentlemen who I 100% know every square inch of his ancestry. The only "Metis" he has is that he married a nice lady who has some far flung Metis ancestors. I'm interested see what he can accomplish. He is going to test the system and see what he can make happen. As I find out more, I will report back.

As he put it.. This is all about trying to get to the same level of the only first nations in this country.
I think to get recognized as Metis your relatives cannot be so far flung. You mention a guy who married into his Metis card and is going to see what he can accomplish. I am not so sure the Metis community will kindly support this type of activities from an associate member. This whole process with the government and the laws of the land is a structured co-ordination of all parties involved. Even historically when the Metis were commercial hunters for the fur trade their hunts were very structured and orderly. I would like to think the Metis communities still have structure and discipline with their hunting members and won't tolerate people pushing boundaries they work hard to establish. With such privilege written into laws will come responsibility and accountability. Let's not forget international indigenous associations and agencies are watching too.

And a side note rebutting the comments of Metis having to go back to using primitive stone age weapons. Before first contact in North America First Nations were in the stone age utilizing stone tools. The Metis people were are result of the mingling of FN people with the newcomers to the new world. The newcomers brought with them firearms and steel weapons. So when the very first Metis people were born they were born into firearms and have just as much a right to use them. The Metis were not of the stone age. They were the bridge between two ages and cultures born after first contact.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets