Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I think to get recognized as Metis your relatives cannot be so far flung. You mention a guy who married into his Metis card and is going to see what he can accomplish. I am not so sure the Metis community will kindly support this type of activities from an associate member. This whole process with the government and the laws of the land is a structured co-ordination of all parties involved. Even historically when the Metis were commercial hunters for the fur trade their hunts were very structured and orderly. I would like to think the Metis communities still have structure and discipline with their hunting members and won't tolerate people pushing boundaries they work hard to establish. With such privilege written into laws will come responsibility and accountability. Let's not forget international indigenous associations and agencies are watching too.

I would have thought so as well..Until I held the card in my hand!

And a side note rebutting the comments of Metis having to go back to using primitive stone age weapons. Before first contact in North America First Nations were in the stone age utilizing stone tools. The Metis people were are result of the mingling of FN people with the newcomers to the new world. The newcomers brought with them firearms and steel weapons. So when the very first Metis people were born they were born into firearms and have just as much a right to use them. The Metis were not of the stone age. They were the bridge between two ages and cultures born after first contact.
So your saying the Metis are 3rd nation? Seriously, why on earth were they ever recognized? Lets hope some day that charter gets ripped up as I don't think it is valid as it is missing a signature or 2.