View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey Goober, since the other thread was locked before I had a chance to reply, I felt I'd do it here. (Flames thread Re: Iggy as Captain)

Look, you know how much I respect your knowledge and passion for the game, but I think you are dead wrong about Iggy's leadership ability, and proved it in your own post.

Quote:
Chemistry is a huge thing on any professional team and that is lacking in a big way in Calgary. Edmonton is finally having good chemistry off the ice this year and it shows. They appear to be having fun together!! Team meals are now not done in numerous cliques but as a whole team.
Quote:
This is not happening in Calgary as the players are growing farther apart. On this last road trip on 2 occasions a team dinner was planned by Jarome and a couple other guys only to have nobody want to take part.
Now tell me, how many captains of playoff bound teams cannot get their teammates to participate in team dinners? Frankly, I think that's pathetic.

Yes, Iginla is a fine person and terrific hockey player. Of course he's worn letters throughout his entire hockey life. Unfortunately, in hockey, all too often the most gifted player is given the 'C', and this was something I never personally agreed with. Like previously mentioned, great stats do not a great leader make.

The hockey world seems to think he has some magical aura around him, the the reality is a far different one, and I think that many who have played with the Flames would very quietly agree.

However, this is all moot now, pulling the 'C' should have been done two seasons ago. The benefit to both the player and the organization would likely have been far more positive than negative. I do agree that Darryl has the same general managerial prowess of KLowe, and will not be here for the rebuilding process which should begin in ernest this off season, if not sooner.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts and I'm fully aware that I do stand alone on this issue.......