View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Sure. That prevention stuff is useful. It worked so well for Indians that none of them was ever killed by a bear.

I pack around a thunder stick whenever I can. Nothing can outrun a bullet or buckshot. BTW, I grew up in the northern bush. Had a wee trapline when I was 10. There's lots I don't know but there's lots I do know, too.

I had a similar disagreement with the great Andy Russell years ago. He knew it all and said he didn't need to pack a gun in bear country and I didn't need one, either, when I took kids into the bush. About a month later, I heard a grouchy black sow with cubs chewed up his ass and if his son hadn't picked up a shed and beat off the bear, he might've been in bad trouble as he laid there curled up with his hands over his neck.
Ok, we're at cross purposes... must be the lost in translation thing. LOL

The elders mean - situationally - that since we live in big time bear country.. be aware of it and respect that fact. They mean not to be surprised when you come across a bear... or the bear comes across you - the bears live there, you are there too.. bound to run across one another eventually. Be prepared- they mean that you don't go anywhere without a level of protection and the ability to use it well whether it be a rifle, shotgun, big FO stick, knife or bear dog. Always have an exit - they mean know where you are and how to get out fast and where the safety places are but more importantly where not to head to where it's going create more danger. The running and praying part is a little Haida/Tutchone humour - hoping you survive so that you can recall how stupid you were to not follow the above advice.