Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Pike,
If the line matches the AFTMA standard, the first 30' of both WF lines and DT lines will weight
the same.
A fast action rod requires more mass to make it perform correctly, a WF just doesn't have the mass after the running line appears therefore a fast action rod works better with s DT line

And fast action really translated to a rod that is marked incorrectly as to the line weight required to fish it.

Don
Don,

I see your point and agree that if you want to carry more than the head of the fly line in the air,,,then the heavier running line of the DT will be easier to hold in the air with the faster action rod which will now be properly loaded.

However, for short casts less than thirty feet which is a pretty typical cast for stream trout fishing, a slower rod would allow the angler better control of the DT line as there now may not be enough mass to properly load a faster rod.

So I guess it boils down to what your expected use of the line and rod combination. If you wish to false cast 40- 50 feet of DT in the air, then I agree the faster action rod would hold it up better than a slower rod,,, but for shorter casts, I would grab my softer rod regardless of the line taper.

my two cents....