View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I purchased I st croix 4 peice surf rod I believe it was 10’ maybe they make seve sizes. This year for surf fishing I will be using a penn spinfisher V 7500 LC. I just want to try it to see how far I cast. I have been using a penn feirce 4000 and a penn fierce II 4000 LL Excellent reeks for the money but they are not sealed as well as the more excencive penn reels so if you go for a swim like I usually do when you get back from the morning fish rinse it in the pool the fresh shower then when you get home strip it down and clean. I learned my lesson. You don’t need really heavy line 30lb braid is great I have never out casted a spool of 30lb I have ran out of line with 50lb. Like mentioned earlier the prime fishing is done for the year but who cares if I can fish in a warm beautiful spot I will every day any day over miserable cold Alberta.
You can always catch fish with shrimp and and pickerel rig. The two best lures I have found other than bait is #1 hands down shimano wax Wing stupid expensive but man the fish go nuts. Cast it out and just reel as fast as you can and the lure does all the work. I have picture above of that lure. The 118 and the 135 mm is what I use. Next is the Gibbs Polaris popper you need to do a little walk the dog with this one while you crank it in fast but that what I caught my biggest jack right on the public beach so I’m partial to that lure.
Step one for long flat beach fishing look way down both ways try spot Boiling fish
Step two figure out there direction of travel
Step three get in front of them
Step 4 launch a wax wing out and reel like a crazy man
In good fishing spots I have seen several boils in a morning in ****ty spot like out front nuavo Vallata I bait fish till I spot a boil that is. Then I quickly switch lures and sprint down the beach to try get to it your lucky to see one boil out front the public beach but it does happen. Punta de mita is much better for fish. Worth the $5 public bus ride.