View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The Marlin is a good rifle but in 45-70, the action is too short for the longer/heavier bullets which (IMO) are what is best at close range if your using it for bear defense. For hunting of course, the lighter 250 to 300 grain bullets are fine. Chiappa's 1886 clone has a larger action and can cycle the heavy bullets just fine but it's heavier and more expensive to buy but it is available in a short barrel version.
If you never get out of thick bush then these are good choices for hunting rifles but your severely handicapped when you step out onto a cut line and see the bull of your dreams standing 350 yards away presenting the perfect shot..... for a scoped rifle!
Those 250 gr. are varmint bullets! Maybe I'm stretching it, but not by too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Some bullets such as the ones you mention are designed with the Marlin in mind and they have the cannelure placed further ahead so the bullet can be seated deep enough to shorten the overall length. The downside to a forward cannelure is decreased powder space in the case. The upside to this is the popular belief that bullet weight trumps velocity for close in bear defense.
I can tell you from experience that 350 grain Hot Cor and 405 grain Remington bullets to name a couple are too long to cycle in the Marlin if crimped into the cannelure and these are the bullets that you will most likely find in your local store rather than specialty cast 525 grain Piledriver bullets.
Never heard of anyone having a problem with those bullets. I'm acquainted with a fella that uses a 480 gr. Lyman bullet in his with no issues.

I have no problem cycling the 350 gr. Hot Cor, 375 gr. RN cast, 400 gr. FN cast, 350 gr. Hornady all loaded to max COAL or slightly over. And the 405 Remington in factory ammunition as well. Maybe, I didn't use the cannelure, as I have the factory crimper for a couple.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!