Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I've known about the over the counter tags for awhile. Just have never had the gear to get into the backcountry. I've invested in all the backpacking gear so this year I might actually get a chance to get out and look for one. (Along with Elk if I'm crazy enough to pack it out)

For Deboning I usually butcher my own deer, so I kind of have and idea how the meat should come off. Obviously a sheep will be different.

The judging part will definitely be the hardest part. I'll see if I can get one of my buddies to come out who's done it before. In saying that I don't want to miss out on a hunt because I can't get anything lined up.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
butchering your own experience will be an asset!, there's no difference to a deer, that's a bonus

took me a few years to get on my first legal ram only to spend a few hours with him and never get the 100 that he was legal and i walked away, took lots of pics and confirmed after with people that had the judging down that i just passed up my first legal ram...that stung, however i did a pile of homework after that and was rewarded with the exact same opportunity the following year on same size ram and i knew instantly he was legal when i got the view from 1000 yards up, 45 minutes of climbing, some luck, and he was mine

sounds like you're on your way, work on that judging, pick an area where they live and you can zero in on and start spending time out there learning it inside and out, another mistake i made early was hike all over the dang province, might have been nube's advice actually that said pick a smaller area and learn it well, they are there