Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That's a little negative. I hunted sheep for years without one. People hunted sheep for a century with 30-30's, no binoculars. Over half the sheep I've seen shot back when I hunted sheep the spotting scope never got out of the pack. I wouldn't stay home because I didn't have a spotting scope. Personally I think binos are the more important tool.
I don’t think I’m being negative, at least I’m not trying to be. Yeah well things were a lot different back in the day. It’s not the same game anymore. To me it just isn’t realistic to start hunting sheep without a spotting scope. You must of killed some monster sheep if you aren’t even bothering to double check legality with a scope. I personally find more Rams with a scope than binos, about 4 to 1. That’s just me though. I can cover way more country in a day sitting down with a spotting scope than anyone can with binos. You’ll be doing a whole hiking if you don’t carry a scope. Scope can save you a whole 2 days of hiking in lots of cases.

Everybody in this province has an equal right to hunt sheep, that’s without a doubt. But if you aren’t fully prepared to hunt sheep responsibly than wait till you are ready. Carrying a spotting scope so you can accurately judge a ram is your responsibility, at least until you feel comfortable enough that I guess you decide you don’t need one? Not trying to insult anyone who hunts that way successfuly, I’ve just honestly never heard of that.

Hunting sheep is becoming more and more popular now a days so let’s try starting the new guys off in a position to succeed, where they aren’t going to be making mistakes do to advice like “it’s good enough for me! It’s good enough for you!”.

If you want to start hunting sheep than commit. Don’t half ass it. If you want to half ass it just stay home.