View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Really simple and educational example. While you are all chasing birds (I respect you all ), this is for the masses and the most logical progression. Prussian carp minnows flush out of Dewitts pond in to the Nose creek drainage. They go in to the Bow river drainage. They are distributed through irrigation in to reservoirs in Southern Alberta from the upstream side. Many of these reservoirs have drainages which flow in to other river systems. 1 Example. Travers reservoir spills in to the Oldman through the south side. The carp are now in the Bow river system right up to Bearspaw and Glenmore; and all the way in to the oldman without using the traditional riverways, right from Dewitts pond. That includes any and every pond,lake or dugout which is tied to an irrigation system . I hope there is no connection via aquifer from the Bow/Oldman system which drains in to the Milk river system or these guys can be all the way from the furthest point on the North sask river below a reservoir-up all the seasonal creeks in that system to your favorite central alberta lake,throughout Saskatchewan through natural and irrigation to the Hudsons Bay, tie ins to the South and East right in to the Mississippi drainage-from the top down. That is one of the reasons why fisheries managers stock fish which do not have the capability of reproducing naturally. Unfortunately that is what is happening now, and I wish it was not true. It is important that everybody educate themselves on how these fish move. Anytime a barrier to fish movement is washed out on a tributary which contains these fish, there is the real possibility that they may venture upstream too. Then when the barrier is replaced-it is too late. These fish have gone from the W.I.D. irrigation dewatering system through the Serviceberry creek drainage below Chestermere lake in 2008, through to the Red Deer river and all over Southern Alberta in 6 years. Just like that. What a mess.