View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 AM

As a relatively new fisherman (other than as a child), I can vouch that it can be tough trying to learn the good places to fish. Also, many people might not have a buddy who can show them the ropes.

That being said, I have never made a post on here asking for a lake to fish at. Just from growing up, I already knew of most of the lakes around me and what kind of fish they had in them. The ones that I didn't know much about were found through maps and regs. The regs will tell you what fish are in the lake and a map will show you how to get there. From there you just pick a spot and throw a hook out. If it doesn't work, you move on to the next spot/hook. Before you know it you are hauling in fish.

One of my favourite experiences this summer was in Waterton. My girlfriend and I were camping there and we hiked a few kilometers to a nice lake that we had never been to before and caught little Brook Trout all evening, just because we asked someone at the tourist booth if there were fish in it. Hiking to the lake and the scenery there was just as fun as trying to find the fish. At the end of the day, we had a blast. And it was all due to nothing more than a little outdoors exploring. A few weeks later we made a full day trip to 3-4 of the lakes around Pincher/Beaver Mines (we had never been to any of them) and just made the best of it. We ended up with about a dozen fish that day and she had a blast. Days like that sure turn them on to the sport and make them want to go out more. But again, it was simply taking a shot in the dark at first.

As a side note, while I think that it is kind of rude to reply to someone's question with "use the search function"... I also have to admit that at least 95% of the information regarding lakes and techniques that I have acquired from this forum has been found using the search function. In fact, it has even inspired me to plan a Golden Trout trip this summer thanks to a couple hours of reading searched threads.

It's really not that hard to do some work for yourself. It's one thing to ask where a guy can buy a lottery ticket at, but it's another to expect the winning numbers.