View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
What disturbs me most about this porcupine issue is:

Because certain animals are not designated as game animals or are not regulated does not mean those "un"-game animals can be killed at leisure.
I understand controlling problem animals but some people are suggesting to blast away at all they see. Sort of a kill 'em all attitude. Bad suggestions IMO.
These are the same people that in ten years will be complaining they can't figure out why they don't see any wildlife around.
This is a great point. (Hence my "Please do Harvest with caution, Ethics and RESPECT FOR GAME PERSUED" statement earlier in the thread.)

Alot of fun and silliness has been had on this thread, yet one of the finest points to keep in mind is to not extirpate nor harvest much too heavily. Too many should definitely not be taken from a single location.

None the less I do not believe that Porcupines are anywhere near being at risk of extirpation anywhere in Alberta as of this writing. Porcupine new borns have a fine survival rate as they are quite functional (quills included) within hours of birth. Additionally the adults of the species appear to reproduce effectively. Furthermore, this is a species persued by few predators, Human or animal. Most Hunters do not take them even when presented as a target of opportunity.

As such, Porcupines are an underutilized resource here in Alberta. Contrast this with species that are highly regulated (rightly so) such as Pronghorn Antelope, Mountain Goat or even Turkey. If there were no regulations concerning these Big Game species, extirpation would be gauranteed in a single season!

The solution is to take to porcupines you can use and share the wealth of harvest with others where possible. Epecially if one kills a Porcupine as a pest or simply eats them but does not utilize their hide/quills then providing them to someone such as our Original Poster would certainly not be harmful to say the least.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.