View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
hey thats awesome, and great pics, guess i'll have to tie some up on inch long jigs, thanx for the text
not sure if you know this, so i'll add it, and hopefully it will be of help to many, the wireworm that has been THE whitefish bait of the last 40 years is an imitation designed to imitate chironomid larvae, otherwise known to flyfisherman as midge larvae, it was 'invented' by a young Edmontonian named Roger Sabourin, think around 1978(he invented it when he was a young adult, 18ish, and sadly died in a motorcycle accident a short time later, rip)(story acknowledgement to the late(?)Reg Denny here), to replicate easily the midges he found in wab lake whitefish stomachs from icefishing trips back then, brilliant simple imitation, the reason different colors can work so well is there are many different colors of midges in nature, more importantly though is because they are a midge imitation they should be fished on a horizontal plane, hook shank parallel to the bottom and the ice surface, thats when they look most natural and edible to fish , they rise and fall in the water column throughout the day, if a whitefish swims by/near your wireworm at a different level in the water column you can have a great chance of catching him by slowly dropping it to bottom then bringing it back up to the same level and/or higher than u saw the fish at, that still looks natural and i've caught many whitefish this way, have a Merry Christmas

X2 so true, it took me a while also to figure this out, most of my fish with the help of a flasher start with the wire worm on the bottom then a slow or jig motion up the water column as to where the fish are cruising, sometimes they take it on the fly and some times you have to hold it still and they will take a stab at it.